Femme fatale literally means “fatal woman” in French. According to the movie Mildred Pierce, it can be defined as “the kind of woman men want…but shouldn’t have!” We are here to tell you exactly how to become a femme fatale.
1. Be mysterious. Don’t let everybody know what you are feeling or what’s going on. The very mystery proves to be the allure of the femme fatale. If you have to leave to go to your aunt’s birthday party, don’t say so; just say you have an urgent matter to attend to and lead people to wonder. If you get a text from your mom, don’t tell people who you’re talking to; the more you kick to yourself, the more you’ll leave to the imagination. Make people work to learn things about you. Learn to have an inner strength and a strong will, not letting people think that it’s easy to get under your skin. Keep things mysterious instead of detailing every little thing that went wrong for you today.
2. Be smart. Being well educated is something that will set you apart from the flock. Being a beauty with brains adds sex appeal. Don’t ever be afraid to show off your brains or to let men see that they’re dealing with an interesting, intelligent woman who isn’t afraid to say what’s on her mind. Be proud of how hard you work, how much you read, and how well you’re doing in life. Your intelligence will be yet another trait that makes men flock to you. Don’t be afraid to challenge people. State your ideas and back them up with evidence. You’re smart enough to do it. Don’t think that acting like a clueless girly girl will get you very far. Instead, make a point of showing everyone that you know what’s what.
3. Be seductive but not trashy. Femme fatales are famous for how sexy and seductive they are, but that doesn’t mean they have to put it all out there, either. In the words of the great Bette Davis, “I often think that a slightly exposed shoulder emerging from a long satin nightgown packs more sex than two naked bodies in bed.” You can show off a bit of your legs, wear low-cut tops, or show off your gorgeous back, but you should also make sure to leave something to the imagination. Femme fatales don’t need to wear extra revealing clothes because their personalities and the way they carry themselves do that work for them. Acting in a way that is sexy, mysterious, and seductive will be what draws the men in. Leaving something to the imagination is part of the mystery that will make men so attracted to you. If you’re wearing a more revealing top, then wear a more conservative skirt with it, and vice versa.
4. Wear a signature scent. Femme Fatales typically have a signature scent, so you need to find the one that suits you the best. It shouldn’t be anything too fruity or girly, and should give off a sexy and seductive vibe instead. Try something like sandalwood or lavender that will make everyone remember you everywhere you go. There’s no need to overdo it; just a tiny bit of the scent on your neck will make you even more unforgettable.
5. Dress like a dangerous woman. If you want to be a true femme fatale, then you should wear clothing that sets you apart. Pick clothes that are well cut and draw subtle attention to you in a tasteful way. Opt for neutral shades, stay away from tacky prints and fabrics. Clothes that are flattering are important; find an outstanding tailor to be at your beck and call. Proper tailoring will turn that chain store find into a knockout piece. Pair your look with high heels when appropriate, but make sure you know how to walk in them.
6. Have a signature drink. Femme Fatales are known for having a signature drink that they order whenever they’re out. It doesn’t matter what it is, but it should be consistent and it should make people impressed by your decisiveness. It can be a glass of merlot, a Dark and Stormy, a whisky on the rocks, or even a dirty martini. You have to order it with decisiveness and you shouldn’t waste time looking over a drink menu, either. It goes without saying that drinks like a Cosmo, Sex on the Beach, or a piña colada, will not do the trick. You may also want to avoid drinks that are known for getting people drunk as fast as possible, such as Margaritas. Because no one likes a sloppy drunk. And also – you should never get drunk period.
7. Be a lady. To be a true femme fatale, you should be a real lady first and foremost. Treat yourself and the people around you with respect, have dignified manners, and make sure you look self-possessed and put together, comfort should not be in your vocabulary. A true lady doesn’t get drunk, she doesn’t curse up a blue streak (her tongue bites but in other ways), and she doesn’t reveal much personal information to someone she’s just met. To be a true lady, you have to be proper within reason. You don’t have to be all buttoned up and demure, but you should at the very least know which fork to use, and to cover your mouth when yawning. Also invest in personalized stationary because nothing says class like sending a hand written thank you note.
8. Don’t let a man or anyone determine your value. A femme fatale doesn’t sit at home crying because her man won’t call her back. She doesn’t get down on herself if a careless man makes a condescending comment to her. She doesn’t let anyone tell her who she is. You can have fun dating men, toying with them, seducing them, or even falling in love with them, but you can’t let them determine your self-worth. True femme fatales know that no one can get rid of the power they posses. True femme fatales have a healthy dose of confidence. Work on loving the person who you are and accepting the things you can’t change about yourself. If you’re uncertain about who you are, then it’ll be easier for a man to get you down. Happy hunting ladies.
Story by Serafina Lach.